Friday, January 29, 2016

Imprint 93








In 1993, Matthew Higgs founded a small press dedicated to artists' editions, called Imprint 93. The artist/curator published multiples and editions by Billy Childish, Martin Creed, Chris Ofili, Elizabeth Peyton, Peter Doig, Stewart Home, Bob & Roberta Smith, Stephen Willats, Jeremy Deller and many others.

Earlier this week Higgs began uploading images of the various projects to his Instagram feed, here.


"I started a small publishing project in the early 1990s in London. It was a way to collaborate with artists I was interested in, and it allowed me to develop my own identity as a publisher/curator – in that Imprint 93 reflected many of the things that interested me in art at that time. I financed all of the projects myself, and they were mostly printed at night on the photocopier at the office where I worked during the day. The project was inspired by the independent publishing movements of the 60s and 70s. (“It was easy, it was cheap, go and do it!”) However in the early 1990s, and certainly in London, very few people were publishing works in this way, so Imprint 93 stood out, simply because it was fairly unique. Many of the artists who I collaborated with – including Peter Doig, Elizabeth Peyton, Jeremy Deller, Martin Creed, Chris Ofili, etc. – are now much better know, but at the time these were artists at the beginning of their careers, just as I was at the beginning of my own career as a curator. It was a very organic and mutual process."
- Matthew Higgs (interviewed by Stephanie Bailey)


No comments:

Post a Comment